Hot Issues in Determining Multi-State Sales Tax Nexus
More Trainings by this Expert
Gain valuable insight into the complex issues of interstate sales and the obligations of out-of-state (foreign) sellers to collect the destination state’s taxes. Get up-to-date information about the retailing giants and their fights with the various states. Take a ring-side seat with an expert who will share the anticipated outcomes.
Why should you attend:Will I owe taxes in more than one state for the same sale? Must I charge tax on my internet sales? Why is my drop shipper charging me tax? Why did I receive a NEXUS Questionnaire and what if I don’t respond to it?
Learn the nexus triggers and the risks of not registering. Handle state nexus questionnaires with ease. Take the best corrective action when you discover you are out of compliance.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- The definition of Sales and Use Tax Nexus and why it is important to your company
- Perform a SWOT analysis of your company regarding sales and use tax knowledge and risk exposure.
- What the states are doing to cast a wider net; how they intend to, eventually, get all foreign businesses to register and collect their taxes
- Get proactive. Lobby your government leaders on this subject.
- Where the mega retailers stand in their fights to avoid universal sales and use tax nexus and why their fight is your fight
- Stay connected. Always be aware of the state’s moves. Stay ahead of the states by planning for their success while defending your preferences.
- Where to begin if your company is delinquent in registering, collecting and remitting other states’ sales and use taxes
- Learn how to work out “Offers in compromise” or “Voluntary Disclosures” before the state finds you.
Who Will Benefit:
- Tax Managers
- Accounts Payable Managers
- Purchasing Managers
- Compliance Managers
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA and experienced businessman. He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a $1 billion real estate development company. He is a highly sought after professional speaker and consultant who has presented over 1000 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, such as financial analysis and modeling, accounting matters, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. His clients include, Abbott Labs, Citicorp, the FBI, GE, Pfizer, and the US Marine Corps.